Fifth Annual Pig Island Returns to Red Hook September 6th!
Now here is an event that I will be happy to attend as it fits in quite nicely with my penchant for all things pig, beer, and music related! If interested and in the NYC area that weekend I would suggest getting tickets quickly as it will probably sell out. Let’s go whole hog and feast on great eats and cold libations!
Food Karma Projects is happy to announce the 5th Annual Pig Island™, returning to the beautiful Erie Basin Park in Red Hook on Saturday, September 6th from 11:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Showcasing the best of New York State local farmers, chefs, brewers, “real”cider makers and vintners all dedicated to bringing home the bacon, Pig Island returns with 20+ chefs from all five boroughs cooking up 80+ hogs sourced from Flying Pigs Farm.
Already, several chefs have lined up to make the most of their pork presence at our annual hogfest! Returning and new chefs include:
- Peter Giannakas (Ovelia)
- Bill Fletcher (Fletcher’s BBQ)
- Joe Dobias (Joe and Mrs. Doe)
- Justin Brunwasser (Friedman’s Lunch) returns with Jon Bratton of NYC Hot Sauce (this was one of the most popular stations last year, so get in line early)
- Bob Devine, pitmaster, with the Jimmy’s No. 43 Summer Rig BBQ Smoker
- Sam Barbieri from Waterfront Ale House/Fuhgeddaboutit BBQ
- Patti Jackson (Delaware and Hudson)
- Chef Shanna Pacifico (Boteco)
- Chef Evan Hanczor (Egg)
- Jacqueline Brooks (Southern Belle BBQ Sauce)
- Randall’s BBQ
- Fort Defiance/The Good Fork, with more TBA
Red Hook is the home of our exclusive beer provider, Sixpoint Craft Ales, and a portion of proceeds will go to benefit Added Value Farm.
Other features of Pig Island include:
- Best-of-show prizes presented courtesy of sponsor Wüsthof;
- Free entry and ferry service for kids under 12 with paying adult;
- Music all day with live bands;
- Expanded wine program this year and real ciders from the northeast region;
- Lots of yummy Sixpoint Ales, providing exclusive custom beers!
The venue will be the Ikea waterfront (1 Beard Street, Brooklyn), with easy access via public transit in Brooklyn or NY Water Taxi from Lower Manhattan. Tickets can be found at http://www.pigisland.com/.
Food Karma Projects is a creator and producer of food and media events throughout the New York area. Created by Jimmy Carbone—a NYC-based restaurateur and dedicated social entrepreneur—Food Karma Projects is dedicated to community building by creating unique events that showcase the best local food, chefs, beer and wine, and create a social impact that benefits worthy nonprofit groups.
Important links -
Pig Island – http://www.pigisland.com/
Jimmy’s No. 43 - http://jimmysno43.com/
Food Karma Projects – http://foodkarmaprojects.com/
NY Water Taxi - http://www.nywatertaxi.com/
Added Value Farm – http://www.added-value.org/
( All photos courtesy of Pig Island )