Oh, I remember last year when we washed ashore in Red Hook, Brooklyn, then went whole hog and feasted on some tasty porky eats and brewtastic libations! Well, looks like we will raise the sails and wash the poop deck again as we are headed back to Pig Island on Saturday Sept 12 to pig out on all things hog, and wash it down with cold beer, wine, cider, and some whiskey too! Now that’s the way to spend a NYC weekend afternoon at the end of summer. Who said the summer is over? Not when we have these kinds of festivals going on.
Oh, that’s right, did I say there will now be whiskey featured at this swinetacular event? Yes siree Bob! What better way to wash down some pig than with a fine liquor to soothe the palate. An artisan whiskey tent on hand is expected to include local and regional spirits from High West, NY Distilling and Van Brunt Stillhouse, among others. Reverend Nat’s Cider, and Sixpoint craft beer will be among the other libations. Get in mah bellah!
My mouth is already watering just thinking about it! Drool. Hopefully the weather gods will grace us with a decent day out, but rain or shine make no mistake and arrive hungry and ready to eat!
Now in its sixth year, Pig Island—taking place at Brooklyn’s Red Hook Waterfront (next to IKEA – damn those are some tasty meatballs ) on Saturday, September 12th, from 11:30AM-4:00PM—has quickly grown into one of the most anticipated NYC summer foodie events. Pig Island features more than 20 of the region’s best (and award-winning) chefs, creating the freshest and funkiest dishes with hogs sourced locally from Flying Pigs Farm (the annual Union Square Pig Pick-up is Wednesday, September 9th). This year they welcome a special featured guest chef: Kurt Michael Friese, the founding leader of Slow Food Iowa and Slow Food USA board member, whose Iowa City restaurant Devotay is a community leader in sustainable cuisine and supporting farmers and food artisans in Iowa. Keeping it local, Chef Friese will team with Fleisher’s Craft Butchery to create crazy good pork dishes at this year’s event. Other new chefs and returning favorites (currently scheduled to attend and subject to change) – check out this culinary lineup of pig masters! Holy Porky Pig, Batman!
- Butcher Shop Hudson and Charles
- East Village Favorite Northern Spy
- Sotto 13 – Chef Ed Cotton
- In Vino – James Kelly
- Blujeen (Harlem) – Chef Lance Knowling
- Le Rivage – Chef Paul Denamiel
- Michael Jenkins (Butter) returns for the sixth year
- Pitmaster Robbie Richter, the original pitmaster for Hill Country BBQ and Fatty ‘Cue Brooklyn
- Egg Restaurant’s Evan Hanczor and George Weld will serve up a Braised Bacon End Sandwich with Salsa Verde and Egg Hot Sauce
- Fletcher’s Brooklyn Barbecue – Matt Fisher is cooking up his famed pulled pork
- Martin Høedholt of Revolving Dansk/Copenhagen Street Dogs
- Ovelia – Peter Giannakas
- Pitmaster Sam Barbieri of Waterfront Alehouse/Fuggedaboutit BBQ
- Ends Meat – Chef John Ratliff
- Erika Nakamura and Jocelyn Guest
- Arrogant Swine – Chef Tyson Ho will be serving up Whole Hog Loatian-Style with Ginger-Grapefruit Foam
- Route 66 Smokehouse – Pitmaster Bill Kooper
- Danny Mena and Evan Smith of Hecho en Dumbo
- King Phojanakong from Tito King’s Kitchen at Jimmy’s No. 43 will serve whole roasted Filipino-style “Lechon” pig
- Roni-Sue’s Chocolates will cook up Nasty Bits: Bacon/Chile Pretzels
- Chef Jesse Jones (Chef Jesse Concepts)
- Neuman’s Kitchen
- Plus, vegetarian options from Bittergreen and NYC Hot Sauce Company
- Plus more, TBA!
For the second year, NY State has declared Pig Island a “Taste NY Event” due to Pig Island’s commitment to support NY State farmers by purchasing heritage hogs at market prices with proceeds from the event going directly to support NY farmers and their communities. Always a good cause to give back, and its great karma!
All Inclusive Food & Drink Tickets! This year they will be selling fewer tickets and offering special VIP packages to a select few that includes a tented area, six (6) VIP tickets and private wine service –
Children Under 12 Are Free ( no booze for the kiddies! )
September 12th, 2015
11:30 am – 4:00 pm
Erie Basin Park Waterfront, Red Hook, Brooklyn NYC (across from IKEA)
Important links –
Pig Island – http://www.pigisland.com/
Jimmy’s No. 43 – http://jimmysno43.com/
Food Karma Projects – http://foodkarmaprojects.com/
NY Water Taxi – http://www.nywatertaxi.com/