Hey, guess what? I’ve been nominated for a new award. I have no clue why, other than the fact that someone out there must be obsessed with my incoherent scribble that I write about. Maybe I have a stalker or two. Should I be flattered or scared? Either way, I am flattered and it is an honor to be recognized and nominated for the Liebster Award. From what I gather this award is given to those newer and creative blogs out there, the “up and comers”, that have been discovered along the way by fellow bloggers. Crazy right?
Now here are the pesky rules one must adhere to when accepting the Liebster:
1. Thank the person who nominated you.
2. Post eleven random facts about yourself.
3. You answer the eleven questions asked by the person who nominated you.
4. You think of a new set of eleven questions and nominate eleven others to answer them.
Damn, this is a lot of work!
Gotta thank my blogger friend, Kitt, for thinking of me. She is a pretty interesting gal considering she is a Cowboys fan (I kid!), funny, a bit wild, and a pretty damn good writer. Heck, her newest blog post is about sex toys! Yup, she is cool. Check her blog out. Again, it’s an honor to accept your nomination!
So…without further ado, here are 11 random facts about yours truly:
1. I took Spanish in high school and totally faked my way through it. Couldn’t speak it then and can’t now other than a bunch of random words and phrases. Hola!
2. As a kid I set my parent’s linoleum floor in the kitchen on fire, then tried to cover the burnt spot with a random piece I found. Hey, maybe they won’t notice!
3. The first time I got absolutely hammered drunk was off a bottle of Canadian whiskey I swiped from my parent’s liquor cabinet when I was a teen. Also poured a bottle of vodka into a carton of orange juice that night and drank it. No wonder I passed out in the bushes and woke up two days later. Parents not too happy. Holy hangover!
4. I broke my arm doing Evil Knieval stunts on a big wheel when I was a kid. Surprised my parents didn’t disown me!
5. I once won $9000 on a $5 slot machine at Harrah’s Atlantic City. I’m baller, yo!
6. My first car was a 1968 Ford Mustang. I have not owned a car since 1998 and do not miss it. NYC mass transit rules. Never have to worry about getting a DWI!
7. I don’t smoke cigarettes, but do enjoy an occasional good cigar with a nice bourbon. I feel like “The most interesting man in the world”!
8. I played rugby in college. Still don’t know all the rules or what the heck I was doing out there. It was fun, full of injuries, and there were great keggers after the match!
9. Back in high school I used to be an art major, and even attended a gifted & talented summer session that my art teacher chose me for. Now I can barely draw a stick figure!
10. I hardly ever watch reality shows but love “junk TV” like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Cops, Storage Wars, Counting Cars, 1000 Ways To Die, Repo Games, etc. High brow all the way!
11. I love Las Vegas, and have been there dozens of times for business and for vacation. I never get tired of it’s cheesiness!
Kitt’s 11 Questions for me:
1. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and why? I need to make more time to see my parents and be more patient with them. I just don’t make time to go to Florida enough where they retired to.
2. What did you want to be when you grew up? I never really knew. I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.
3. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why? A bird. Always wanted to be able to fly. That, and poop on people I don’t like.
4. What one movie can you watch over and over again and never get sick of? This is a twenty way tie! Among them – The Avengers, Iron Man, The Expendables 1 & 2, any 80’s action flicks with Stallone and Arnold, White Chicks, Madagascar (the penguins rock), Harold & Kumar go to White Castle, The Princess Bride, a dozen comedies, science fiction, and so many others.
5. What talent do you wish you had and why? I wish I was a brainaic mathematical genious. I would then hit up Vegas and Atlantic City and get rich!
6. If you had to pick one famous person of the same sex to have a man or girl crush on, who would it be and why? Robert Downey Jr. The guy is a rip, so cool, plus he is Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes! He is bad-ass.
7. When you think of historical figures, who do you most admire and why? Teddy Roosevelt. Another bad-ass. The guy was basically born a weakling that no one believed in and built himself up through sheer will, and became one of our greatest Presidents. His record of achievements and life experiences are the thing of Hollywood movies.
8. If you could be a professional athlete, what would be the sport you’d like to be a pro at? That’s easy – professional wrestler. Kind of like Stone Cold Steve Austin. Because Stone Cold Said So!
9. What was the coolest thing you have ever done for someone else? I save a man’s life once. A few years ago at Harrahs in Atlantic City an older man was choking to death and no one knew what to do. I ran over and applied the Heimlich and saved him. It was the kind of thing you see on tv and movies.
10. What are you most afraid of and why? Being alone, broke, and living on the streets. I see these people every day in NYC and it kills me inside. No one should live like that.
11. What do you consider your greatest accomplishment to date and why? Being engaged to the girl I took to my senior prom many years ago. We did not see each other for many years after that then bumped into her by chance. Been together ever since. Happily engaged and will never get married as there’s no need to. Heck, putting up with my craziness over all these years is enough for her!
11 Questions for my nominees:
1. What scares you the most?
2. If you could be any famous person, living or dead, who would it be and why?
3. If you could switch bodies with one of your friends who would it be and why?
4. If you could be any insect, what would you be and why?
5. What is your favorite movie of all time?
6. If you were allowed to only eat one meal for the rest of your life what would it be?
7. If you could go back in time what would you change or do?
8. If you had to pick one famous person of the same sex to have a man or girl crush on, who would it be and why?
9. Would you take a bullet for someone, and if yes, who would it be?
10. If you could be an athlete in the Olympics what sport would it be?
11. What celebrity do you despise the most and why?
And my 11 nominees are (in no particular order):
Monique – her blog offers some kick ass food porn and recipes that even I can make!
Kristy – her blog has so much bakery food porn I’m getting fat. She is also a makeup whore!
Angel – his blog is all about, well, everything NYC. Sometimes controversial and always interesting. He is also aspiring to be the next Vanilla Ice!
Rum Punch Drunk – this dude is a straight shooter and tells it like it is!
Lanthie – a slightly risqué blog about her life as a woman, a mother of 4 boys and a wife of 25 years!
Holly J – she writes a great fitness blog that covers everything from food, to fashion, trends, and exercise!
Cynthia – her blog is pretty awesome and covers everything to do with couples, dating, sex, food, fashion, and lifestyle!
Paul – his blog is intense and covers all kinds of subjects from past history to current events to pop culture!
Nina – she writes blog on her brutally honest, and funny, experiences of life!
Tracy – she writes a terrific blog totally covering NYC lifestyle and her experiences here!
MoviewriterNYU – he writes some of the most creative and “out there” posts I have seen!
Hope you all get a chance to check out these terrific blogs and give them a follow. Let’s see what kind of answers they will offer for my questions and random facts they will come up with about themselves. You all know my deep dark secrets now – well, not all of them! How brave will they be?
44 thoughts on “The Liebster Award!”
I’ll play. I will need sometime to do this as it is a bit involved. But, I’ll get it done. Thanks for nominating my site for this award homie. For the record though, my site is all things NYC, but that and much more! LOL…
No problem Vanilla Ice/Angel. Congrats! You guys have all helped me out on this blog stuff. Take your time and do it when you can. No rush.
So much work! But I did get an LOL out of this:
As a kid I set my parent’s linoleum floor in the kitchen on fire, then tried to cover the burnt spot with a random piece I found. Hey, maybe they won’t notice!
You guys all have cool blogs and deserve it. Can’t wait to read everyone’s answers and random facts!
Take your time and do it when you can. That’s what I did.
Also, that is a totally true story. Ask Stacey as my parents told her. I was a devil.
DANKE!!!! Now i have some writing to do.
Congrats – you deserve it! Now get writing! Can’t wait to see your answers! 🙂
Sadly, my brain decided to play the word association game when you mentioned your affinity for the occasional cigar and I saw Madonna & Monica doing ungodly things. If only I could wash my brain. 🙂
Loved your pick of Stone Cold…He was pretty awesome in his day. Of course I’ve always had a thing for Trips…and he was smart enough to marry the boss’s daughter.
Do I dare ask what kind of bird you’d make yourself?
I think it’s pretty awesome that you saved someone’s life.
Thanks for participating…and the fun intro. 😉
Kitt, you are a durty girl! (your husband is a lucky guy!) 😉
Stone Cold and the Rock – still the best.
I would be the biggest bird there is so I can drop the biggest poops on people!
Thanks for the nomination! It’s much appreciated!
Congratulations to you! I will check out some of the links!
Remember, you still have an award post to catch up on yourself! 🙂
All of a sudden you’ll be hit with about 30 of them! Although, they truly are an honor.
LOL! Guess I’ll have a lot of new posts to write!
It’s all good.
Hi Phil, congratulations!! and thank you very much…
Loved reading the facts and the answers..
kudos on saving a man’s life!
Thanks and congrats to you too! Can’t wait to see your brutally honest answers!
Very jealous about #5 and #6! Stoked about number 7. I quit smokes awhile back, but every now and then I like a smoke with a cocktail. It’s a vice I only feel bad about because I’m a health blogger. Sort of nice to see other fitness buffs who indulge in the occasional light up. I haven’t smoked a cigar in years tho. If I do, maybe I’ll have it with some bourbon:)
Hey, even us healthy types have our vices! We need to have fun too!
Congrats on the nomination. Can’t wait to see your answers. 🙂
Firstly Congratulations to you!. And I am honored that you nominated me. This has come a quite a surprise and I thank you. Haven’t spent too much time looking at your questions and answers yet but will spend some time pondering over it over the weekend.
Happy to nominate you. Take your time as this one is very involved, but fun. Looking forward to your answers!
I agree that it is a lot of work. Coming up with 11 things and questions is recipe for a major headache. Congrats on the Liebster! 🙂
Yeah, it does take time but it’s an honor! Thanks!
Congratulations! You have been winning some kind of award every week. Now I wonder what your next award will be. 🙂
Thanks Susana! Remember, you still have to post yours!
Congrats on the award! I love the princess bride also, great movie 🙂
Thanks so much! Yes, Princess Bride is a great flick. So many one liners and funny scenes. Can always watch it.
Thanks for the nom Phil! So many questions, so little time… I guess I feel kind of odd about it since I am not the only person writing on TNYL. I have a group of freelancers, so I’m not sure that I’m an ideal fit. I will review these and see what answers I am able to come up with. Nonetheless, I am flattered! 🙂
No problem – you have a great blog!
Hey, if you can do it or not that is ok. Congrats on the nomination.
Congratulations! You’re racking up the awards. That must have been an incredible feeling saving someone’s life. Wow! You’re a superhero.
I also like Pawn Stars and Storage Wars. I used to watch it because my husband watched it, but now I like both of the shows. It’s still difficult to get my husband interested in a movie without a car chase. Forget chick flicks.
Thanks so much! Both were a cool surprise.
Yeah, saving someone’s life was an experience I won’t forget.
I love junk TV, as it’s easier to watch and not really have to think much! I am more of an action and comedy movie guy too!
Congratulations on your Liebster award, you truly deserve it Phil. You have such a wonderful blog that I really enjoy visiting.
I had a good laugh at some of your random facts. You definitely owe your parents after setting their kitchen floor on fire and stealing their whiskey, you owe them big time. So do make sure you spent more time with them this year. Wow, you saved someone’s life? Thank God you happen to be around at the time and knew exactly what to do.
Thank you so much for nominating me, I am truly humbled and hope you got my PM. C U later.
Hi Rum Punch!
Thanks for the love! I appreciate the compliments!
I did get your PM. No problem as I totally understand. You have a great blog and deserved the nomination.
Yeah, I drove my parents nuts. Need to go see them soon!
Congrats on another Award! You are very deserving. Hope you are having a great weekend. I have been traveling around. I haven’t forgotten about my award. I will get that up this week. Have fun and stay outta trouble!
Thanks my man! I have been out and about this weekend myself and just catching up!
Actually, I have more fun when I’m in trouble! 😉
You go Phil! Congratulations! Well deserved!
Thanks so much for the compliment and for dropping by my blog!
Congrats again! I like the facts about your childhood. The picture’s starting to come into focus here…
Yeah, I had to bare my soul a bit for this one! I was a bad kid! 🙂
I’ve been given the nomination twice, wasn’t in the mood of accepting the actual award, I might accept the next time. Most definitely 🙂
Good job, you deserve it. 🙂
Thanks for the compliment! It was my first time accepting a Liebster so I went ahead and did all the work for it.
You deserved it too! Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!
it’s been my pleasure, and by the way you’re my connection to New York, I’d like to have some friends when I get there, when I figure out how to get there as USA is one tough country to get in 🙂
Don’t give up. I am sure you will make it one day. You are a heck of a blogger too – great posts!
Many congratulations Phil on yet another fabulous award nomination. Well deserved, we all love your work.
So you played rugby? I suspect if it was in the US it was the poorer version i.e. you played Rugby Union? No wonder you didn’t understand the rules, few of us can. Maybe I can enlighten you to the joys of the more exciting version of the game known as Rugby League! The UK season begins tomorrow (Friday) and I’m sure some subscription channel shows it in the US. Look out for my team, the mighty Wakefield Trinity Wildcats!
Many congrats on the engagement; think you should see it through and get married though 🙂
Again, thanks so much for reading and liking my little blog.
Yup, played Rugby in college. Had fun but the drinking after the matches singing rugby songs were even more fun!
Eh, we have been engaged a long time now and prefer to just live in sin!
HA! Too funny Stone Cold Steve Austin. Ha That cracked me up. Congrats to you.
Thanks! Glad you liked my Stone Cold reference! Because Stone Cold Said So!